My name is Vicki Fisher, and I am the Director of Curriculum & Instruction. Outside of two years, I have lived in Avon all my life. I graduated from Avon High School (the current Avon Middle School) in 1980. I received my bachelor's degree (education) from Kent State University and my master's degree (education administration) from Ashland University.
From 1984 - 1995 I was a teacher of 3rd and 4th graders starting at Avon St. Mary's then 10 years with the Sheffield-Sheffield Lake City Schools. In 1995 I became the principal of Vincent Elementary School (Clearview Local School District) and in 2000 I came back to Avon East Elementary as the principal until 2003. (I attended Avon East from kindergarten - 5th grade.) Since 2003 I have been Avon's curriculum director, and it gives me great pride to know and work with such fine teachers and administrators.
With state and federal mandates, we strive to meet many challenges and responsibilities yearly. Here are topics that will be impacting all Ohio districts this year and in the future:
- New Ohio Achievement Assessment schedule for Grades 3 - 8
- New graduation requirements
- Project Lead the Way - a pre-engineering program for high school students
- House Bill 1
- New Standards for the Teaching and Principal Professions
- Credit Flexibility - obtaining high school credit besides 120 seat hours for courses
- Ohio Improvement Process (OIP) & Avon's Decision Framework/Continuous Improvement Plan
- Revised Academic Content Standards
There are also more topics that will be included on my website, including English Language Learners, literacy, Title I, and technology. Look for helpful links for both families and educators.
While there are questions for which I might not have an immediate answer, I will try my very best to the find the answers and return e-mails in a timely fashion.