If school has NOT been cancelled and you feel it is unsafe for your child to attend school, please do NOT send your child and then notify the school using the call-off procedure. Please note the reason for absence is the inclement weather. You can always wait until the bad weather passes and then bring your child to school for the remainder of the day.
As winter approaches, hazardous roads conditions become a possible reason for the cancellation of school. We understand that our decision to open or close schools in bad weather has a great effect on families. When possible, the final decision regarding the cancellation of school is made by 5:45 A.M. Cancellations are immediately relayed to channels 8, 5, 3 and radio station WEOL – 930 A.M. Also, the district web site is updated; however, as it is possible that the web site may not be accessible. The television station information is the final word.
School cancellations in Northern Ohio are most challenging between 5:00 A.M. and the start of the school day. If school has NOT been cancelled and you feel it is unsafe for your child to attend school, please do NOT send your child and then notify the school using the call-off procedure. Please note the reason for absence is the inclement weather. Likewise, if the weather clears throughout the day and you feel it is safe, we encourage you to bring your child to school.
HOW DO WE MAKE OUR DECISION?
Please understand that we make the decision to open or close the schools in bad weather based on a careful analysis of all relevant factors, such as:
Information on Road Conditions (from staff and from the police): On mornings when weather is threatening, we have three or four staff members on the road as early as 4:00 a.m. to check on road conditions. We also confer with the Avon Police Department. We must give careful consideration to the most dangerous roads in the district. Even if your street looks clear, travel elsewhere in the district may be hazardous.
Travel of Staff: A majority of our teachers and staff live outside of Avon and commute to our community. Weather conditions in Northern Ohio play a role in our decision, as we do not want to jeopardize their safety.
Weather Predictions: We prefer not to make our decision based on weather predictions; however, it is unavoidable.
What Other Districts Are Doing: We also share information with other local school districts and check whether they are opening or closing.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Be prepared! When weather is threatening the night before, please have plans for the possibility that school may be closed.
WHO MAKES THE DECISION?
The Superintendent of Avon Local Schools or the appointed delegate is responsible for the final decision.
WHEN IS THE DECISION MADE?
We must make the decision by 5:45 a.m. so that we can notify television and radio stations, and post the decision on our web site. Please understand that, if we make the decision at 5:30 a.m., it may take 15 minutes to be posted on the television and the web site and announced on the radio.
HOW IS THE PUBLIC NOTIFIED?
- Television – tune in to Channel 8, 5 and or 3
- Instant Alert
- This web site
DOES THE DISTRICT START SCHOOLS ON A DELAY?
DOES THE DISTRICT DISMISS EARLY?
ONCE THE DECISION IS MADE TO STAY OPEN, WILL WE CLOSE SCHOOLS IF CONDITIONS WORSEN?
Once we make the decision to stay open, we cannot reverse our decision in the morning without endangering students. Students are already on buses. When we make the decision to open the schools, many parents rely on it and leave for work. If we then send students right back home, many will return to unsupervised drops and/or empty houses.
Although the staff and superintendent do their very in this process, we know that often no perfect decision exists. Again, IF WE ARE OPEN AND YOU DO NOT FEEL THAT IT IS SAFE FOR YOUR CHILD TO ATTEND SCHOOL, THEN PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD. You can always wait until the bad weather passes and then bring your child to school for the remainder of the day.
In addition, please discourage teenagers from driving in bad conditions and offer them alternatives if weather conditions worsen.
We hope that this explanation helps everyone understand the process that our district staff uses to make the best possible decision for our students and staff.